Kakamega is a town in western Kenya lying about 30 km north of the Equator. Kakamega was so named because the word ``kakamega`` roughly translates to ``pinch`` in Kiluhyah, which was used to describe how European colonists would eat the staple food, ugali. The British developed Kakamega for defensive purposes in 1903, and by 1920 it had become the district headquarters. The discovery of gold in 1931 brought an influx of settlers and significantly increased the town’s population. Roads link Kakamega with Mumias and Kisumu.